Lived Experiences of Filipino Young Leaders on Participation in Community Development in a Municipality in Northern Negros Occidental
- sangguniang kabataan,
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 The QUEST: Journal of Multidisciplinary Research and Development
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Youth are perceived as active citizens (Martinez et al., 2017). They are well aware of their local environment, idealistic, and always ready to provide logical solutions and innovations (Śmiechowski, 2019). Young people are dynamic and adaptable and are usually the source of innovation and creativity (Ekka et al., 2022). According to Karagianni and Montgomery (2018), it is the time for the youth as an individual to develop their leadership. The same author also claims that this can help reinforce self-esteem and be a catalyst for flourishing adulthood.
Despite the promising results and the importance of youth participation in community development, youth have no authentic participation (Stocklin, 2017). SKs faced criticism and became an avenue for corruption, inefficiency (Bautista, 2021), and allegations of malpractices, misconduct, vote-buying, and patronage politics (Flores, et.al, 2021). Adversely, congress believes that an inclusive and empowered youth government should be given a chance to renew the perception of the community to the SK by giving them more accountability and opportunity in participatory governance (Flores et.al, 2021) and community development.
There were studies on youth and SK in community development such as youth engagement in agricultural development (Manalo et al., 2019), youth involvement in community extension programs (Rubio et al., 2016), and youth inclusion in peace processes (Cabanes Ragandang and Podder, 2022). However, there were limited studies that explored the Lived Experiences of Filipino Young Leaders on Participation in Community Development in A Municipality in Northern Negros Occidental. This is the research gap that this study aims to fill.
The purpose of this phenomenological study is to explore the lived experiences of young leaders on participation in community development in a municipality in northern Negros Occidental. At this stage in the research, the participation in the community development of the young leaders in the municipality will be generally defined as the participation in community development and activities implemented by the young leaders in a municipality in northern Negros Occidental.
The SK Officials encountered challenges and struggled in implementing PPAs that involve gathering the youth in the community. It was influenced by low esteem and confidence, far-flung sitios, criticism, change in perspective, the restrictions brought Covid-19 Pandemic. It is notable that in all the areas of youth participation, the sports program is the most participated program. Youth and community development is not limited to sports, it is only a small part of programs that should be initiated by young leaders to drastically improve the development of the community. The delayed release of guidelines and orientation of the COA affected the financial independence and transactions of the SK. Today, the SKs are now expediting the implementation of their PPAs because of the recent guidance of the COA. SK should foresee the conduct of programs for the youth with parental obligations and ensure the continuous development of the youth. SK should also incorporate and implement their PPAs with sports to ensure the participation of the youth. These experiences can create an opportunity to SK to further improve their delivery of basic services and implement PPAs that will ensure the participation and development of the youth in the community.
- Alampay, E., & Angeles, L. (2012). Active Citizenship among the Youth: differences among Sangguniang Kabataan leaders and their constituents. In Philippine journal of public administration.
- Arcega, I. B. (2019). Redefining Governance in Philippine Perspective. Eastern Regional Organization for Public Administration Conference (EROPA 2018). https://doi.org/10.2991/eropa-18.2019.4
- Astraea Augsberger, Mary Elizabeth Collins, & Gecker, W. (2017). Best Practices for Youth Engagement in Municipal Government. National Civic Review, 106(1), 9–16. JSTOR. https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1002/naticivirevi.106.1.0009
- Barnabas Chukwunweike. (2020). Youth participation in community development programmes in rumu-woji communities in port harcourt metropolis.
- Bautista, A. D. R. (2020). Exploring Political Socialization and Political Participation: The Filipino Youth and the Sangguniang Kabataan in Caloocan City’s First Legislative District. Child & Youth Services, 1–22. https://doi.org/10.1080/0145935x.2020.1859364
- Cabanes Ragandang, P. I., & Podder, S. (2022). Youth inclusion in peace processes: the case of the Bangsamoro transition authority in Mindanao, Philippines. Conflict, Security & Development, 22(6), 609–628. https://doi.org/10.1080/14678802.2022.2151201
- Collins, N. M., Cromartie, F., Butler, S., & Bae, J. (2018). Effects of early sport participation on self-esteem and happiness. The Sport Journal, 20, 1–20.
- Coskun Onan, B., Coskun, N., & Ersoy, A. (2021). The Phenomenology of Interdisciplinary Content: Contemporary Art Course. Eurasian Journal of Educational Research. https://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ1300001
- Côté, J., & Hancock, D. J. (2014). Evidence-based policies for youth sport programmes. International Journal of Sport Policy and Politics, 8(1), 51–65. https://doi.org/10.1080/19406940.2014.919338
- Creswell, J. W., & Creswell, J. D. (2018). Research design: Qualitative, quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches (5th ed.). SAGE Publications.
- De Jesus, F. (2022). Implementation of Powers and Functions of Sangguniang Kabataan amidst the Covid-19 Pandemic: Basis for Development of Action Plan. Journal of Legal Studies & Research, 8(1), 156-180.
- Despoina Karagianni, & Anthony Jude Montgomery. (2018). Developing leadership skills among adolescents and young adults: a review of leadership programmes. International Journal of Adolescence and Youth, 23(1), 86–98. https://doi.org/10.1080/02673843.2017.1292928
- Digun-Aweto, O., Fawole, O. P., & Saayman, M. (2018). The effect of distance on community participation in ecotourism and conservation at Okomu National Park Nigeria. GeoJournal, 84(5), 1337–1351. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10708-018-9922-z
- Dumbrique, J. S. (2014). Age as Determinant of Performancein Local Governance and CommunityDevelopment of the SangguniangKabataan(Youth Organization). IAMURE International Journal of Social Sciences, 9(1), 1–1. https://ejournals.ph/article.php?id=2312
- Ekka, B., Joseph, D. G. A., Verma, P., Anandaram, D. H., & Aarif, D. M. (2022). A Review Of The Contribution Of Youth To Sustainable Development And The Consequences Of This Contribution. Journal of Positive School Psychology, 3564–3574. https://www.journalppw.com/index.php/jpsp/article/view/7925
- Elliott, S. K., & Drummond, M. J. N. (2016). During play, the break, and the drive home: the meaning of parental verbal behaviour in youth sport. Leisure Studies, 36(5), 645–656. https://doi.org/10.1080/02614367.2016.1250804
- Enopiquez, L., Pagcaliwagan, M. C., & Ramos, R. G. (2019). Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) Programs and Activities in Banaba West, Batangas City. Ascendens Asia Journal of Multidisciplinary Research Abstracts, 3(2). https://ojs.aaresearchindex.com/index.php/AAJMRA/article/view/4348
- Enopiquez, L., Ramos, R. G., & Mae. (2019). Sangguniang kabataan (SK) programs and activities in banaba west, batangas city. Ascendens Asia Journal of Multidisciplinary Research Abstracts, 3, Article 2.
- Ettekal, A. V., & Agans, J. P. (2020). Positive Youth Development Through Leisure: Confronting the COVID-19 Pandemic. Journal of Youth Development, 15(2), 1–20. https://doi.org/10.5195/jyd.2020.962
- Flores III, L., Mendoza, R. U., Yap, J., & Valencia, J. S. O. (2021, February 4). Advancing Youth Governance in the Philippines: A Narrative of the Sangguniang Kabataan and its Road to Reform. Papers.ssrn.com. https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/Delivery.cfm/SSRN_ID3779023_code3691049.pdf?abstractid=3779023&mirid=1&type=2
- Flores, L., Ballar, K. J., Yap, J., & Imelda, D. (2022). Youth Political Participation and Governance in the Philippines 5 Years Since the Ratification of the SK Reform Law. SSRN Electronic Journal. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.4024887
- Gould, D. R. (2016). Leadership as a Life Skill in Youth Sports. Positive Youth Development through Sport, 151–167. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315709499-13
- Greening, N. (2019). Phenomenological Research Methodology. Scientific Research Journal, VII(V). https://doi.org/10.31364/scirj/v7.i5.2019.p0519656
- Jacinto, J. (2023). Assessing sangguniang kabataan programs: A baseline study in developing a comprehensive plan for the development of the youth in cuenca, batangas. Universal Journal of Educational Research, 2, 47–56.
- Kelly, A. L., Erickson, K., & Turnnidge, J. (2020). Youth sport in the time of COVID-19: considerations for researchers and practitioners. Managing Sport and Leisure, 27(1-2), 1–11. https://doi.org/10.1080/23750472.2020.1788975
- Kumar, D. P. (2022). Participation of Youth in Parliament and Their Literacy Rate - an Asian Perspective. Papers.ssrn.com. https://ssrn.com/abstract=4057150
- Kwon, S. A. (2018). The politics of global youth participation. Journal of Youth Studies, 22(7), 926–940. https://doi.org/10.1080/13676261.2018.1559282
- Lester, J. N., Cho, Y., & Lochmiller, C. R. (2020). Learning to Do Qualitative Data Analysis: A Starting Point. Human Resource Development Review, 19(1), 94–106. Sagepub. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534484320903890
- Lincoln, Y. S., & Guba, E. G. (1985). Naturalistic Inquiry. Sage Publications.
- Macauley, T., Rolker, H. B., Scherer, M., Brock, J., Savona, N., Helleve, A., & Knai, C. (2022). Youth participation in policy-making processes in the United Kingdom: a scoping review of the literature. Journal of Community Practice, 30(2), 203–224. https://doi.org/10.1080/10705422.2022.2073308
- Malm, C., Jakobsson, J., & Isaksson, A. (2019). Physical Activity and Sports—Real Health Benefits: A Review with Insight into the Public Health of Sweden. Sports, 7(5), 127. https://doi.org/10.3390/sports7050127
- Manalo, J. A., Pasiona, S. P., Bautista, A. M. F., Villaflor, J. D., Corpuz, D. C. P., & Biag-Manalo, H. H. M. (2019). Exploring youth engagement in agricultural development: the case of farmers’ children in the Philippines as rice crop manager infomediaries. The Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension, 25(4), 361–377. https://doi.org/10.1080/1389224x.2019.1629969
- Mansour, A. M. H. (2016). Sustainable youth community development in Egypt. Alexandria Engineering Journal, 55(3), 2721–2728. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aej.2016.05.019
- Masuku, S., & Macheka, T. (2020). Policy making and governance structures in Zimbabwe: examining their efficacy as a conduit to equitable participation (inclusion) and social justice for rural youths. Cogent Social Sciences, 7(1). https://doi.org/10.1080/23311886.2020.1855742
- Mathiyazhagan, S. (2020). Participatory Youth-Led Community Development: A Child-Centered Visual SWOT Analysis in India. Children and Youth Services Review, 104963. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2020.104963
- May, J.-A., Rubio, A., Vianca, C., Pentinio, P., Ascan, J., Mendoza, M., Vito, J., & Encio, H. (2016). Philippines Asia Pacific Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, 4(1), 109–122. https://research.lpubatangas.edu.ph/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/APJMR-2016-4.1.13-1.pdf
- McEwan, D., & Beauchamp, M. R. (2020). Teamwork in youth sport. The Power of Groups in Youth Sport, 183–202. https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-12-816336-8.00011-1
- McIntosh, M. J., & Morse, J. M. (2015). Situating and Constructing Diversity in Semi-Structured Interviews. Global Qualitative Nursing Research, 2(1), 1–12. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2333393615597674
- Musa, S. F. P. D. (2020). A Study on Youth Aspiration and Perception of Agriculture and Its Policy Implications. Handbook of Research on Agricultural Policy, Rural Development, and Entrepreneurship in Contemporary Economies, 441–453. https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-5225-9837-4.ch022
- Nowell, L. S., Norris, J. M., White, D. E., & Moules, N. J. (2017). Thematic analysis: Striving to meet the trustworthiness criteria. International Journal of Qualitative Methods, 16(1), 1–13. SagePub. https://doi.org/10.1177/1609406917733847
- OECD. (2022). Oecd-Ilibrary.org. https://read.oecd-ilibrary.org/view/?ref=134_134356-ud5kox3g26&title=Youth-and-COVID-19-Response-Recovery-and-Resilience
- Peel, K. (2020). A Beginner’s Guide to Applied Educational Research using Thematic Analysis. Practical Assessment, Research, and Evaluation, 25(1). https://doi.org/10.7275/ryr5-k983
- Quimbo, M. A. T., Perez, J. E. M., & Tan, F. O. (2018). Community development approaches and methods: Implications for community development practice and research. Community Development, 49(5), 589–603. https://doi.org/10.1080/15575330.2018.1546199
- Richardson, C., Cameron, P., & Berlouis, K. (2017). The role of sport in deradicalisation and crime diversion. In Journal for Deradicalization (pp. 29–48).
- Ricks, N. (2016). The Strengths Perspective: Providing Opportunities for Teen Parents and their Families to Succeed. Journal of Family Strengths, 15(1). https://digitalcommons.library.tmc.edu/jfs/vol15/iss1/11
- Romić, D., & Dujmović Bocka, J. (2022). STRENGTHENING THE ACTIVITIES OF YOUTH ASSOCIATIONS IN THE EUROPEAN ENVIRONMENT: CERTAIN LEGAL AND SOCIAL MATTERS. EU and Comparative Law Issues and Challenges Series. https://doi.org/10.25234/eclic/22438
- Rubio, M. A., Vianca, C., Ascan, J. C., Mendoza, M., Vito, J. V., & Encio, H. A. (2016). Involvement in community extension program of business administration students in one higher education institution in the philippines. Asia Pacific Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, 4, 109–122.
- Saud, M. (2020). Youth participation in political activities: The art of participation in Bhakkar, Punjab Pakistan. Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment, 30(6), 760–777. https://doi.org/10.1080/10911359.2020.1745112
- Scales, P. C., Roehlkepartain, E. C., & Shramko, M. (2016). Aligning Youth Development Theory, Measurement, and Practice Across Cultures and Contexts: Lessons from Use of the Developmental Assets Profile. Child Indicators Research, 10(4), 1145–1178. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12187-016-9395-x
- Śmiechowski, D. (2019). Young Leaders of the City of the Future. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 290, 012160. https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/290/1/012160
- Stocklin, A. (2017, May 1). Integrating youth voice in urban planning. Repositories.lib.utexas.edu. http://hdl.handle.net/2152/63745
- Tobin, G. A., & Begley, C. M. (2004). Methodological rigour within a qualitative framework. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 48(4), 388–396. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2004.03207.x
- Yue, A., Nekmat, E., & Beta, A. R. (2019). Digital Literacy Through Digital Citizenship: Online Civic Participation and Public Opinion Evaluation of Youth Minorities in Southeast Asia. Media and Communication, 7(2), 100. https://doi.org/10.17645/mac.v7i2.1899